After sharing a few consecutive dessert recipes, I’ve decided to take a little break from all of the sugar. I thought I’d share an easy, healthy and addictive snack this week. I absolutely love any food that contains chickpeas (I’m looking at you, hummus and falafel). When I was younger, I used to tediously remove the outside skin of each and every chickpea before consuming them. Luckily, I grew out of that habit, and this recipe does not require you to do so—the most labor it requires is using a can opener.
These roasted chickpeas will satisfy your snack cravings and taste somewhat like the half–popped kernels you find at the bottom of your bag of microwave popcorn (am I the only one who likes those?). However, unlike those popcorn kernels, roasted chickpeas will not get stuck in your teeth, and there’re more than three of them for you to eat. Simply open a can of chickpeas, pat them dry with a paper towel, toss them in oil and your favorite spices and bake in the oven.
Servings: About 1 ¾ cups
What you’ll need:
- Canned chickpeas (and a can opener)
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Garlic powder, paprika, cayenne pepper and/or your favorite spices (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 450º F.
- Open the can of chickpeas, strain them and wash them with water.
- Spread the chickpeas out on a towel and pat them as dry as possible.
- Put the chickpeas in a bowl and coat them with salt, pepper, olive oil and any other spices you would like to use.
- Spread the chickpeas out on a baking sheet and bake for about 30 minutes or until the chickpeas are crunchy and brown.
Tips and Tricks:
- The skins of the chickpeas may come off as you dry them or coat them. This is completely fine; it doesn’t matter whether the skin is on or off.
- Eat these chickpeas plain or in trail mix, on sandwiches or on salads.