Greek yogurt can make absolutely anything better. I previously used it in healthy cheesecake bars, and I’m pretty sure I’ve already preached enough about how much I love Greek yogurt. So now I’ll let you know now how much I love mac & cheese. Easy Mac is pretty much a college staple. Every college student loves convenience, and there’s not much that’s easier than pouring some water in a cup and microwaving it in order to get mac & cheese.
This mac & cheese recipe is delicious, yet you don’t have to use that neon orange powder found in boxed mixes, and there is actual protein present. Alternately, when making homemade macaroni and cheese, recipes often use tons of heavy cream and full–fat cheese in order to taste good. This recipe is tasty yet cuts back on the unnecessary fat. There’s also a very good chance that you already have most of these ingredients at home and can easily make it the next time you’re craving mac & cheese but don’t want to run to Wawa. The only thing that this recipe is lacking is fun shapes (I’m looking at you, Spongebob mac & cheese), but you can feel free to use any shaped noodles you find at the grocery store.
Servings: 3 bowls
What you’ll need:
- Approximately 10 oz. pasta
- 1 cup reduced fat cheddar cheese (you can choose any other kind you’d like)
- ¼ cup skim milk
- ¼ cup plain Greek yogurt
- Cook the pasta until al dente (that’s italian for “not quite as soft as you’d like it”). Drain completely in a colander in the sink.
- In the empty pot you used to cook your pasta, mix the cheese and milk together.
- After the cheese melts, add the Greek yogurt.
- Mix together until everything is evenly distributed.
- Pour the pasta back into the pot and mix until it is fully coated with the cheese mixture.
- Serve immediately.
Tips and Tricks:
- Feel free to use any type of cheese or pasta shape you prefer.
- Add in vegetables such as broccoli or peas or protein such as bacon and chicken—it’s up to you!
- Serve the mac and cheese while it’s still warm. This recipe tastes best the day that you make it.