Summer is here—and with it comes the constant annoyance of shaving. Whether your goal is to look beach–ready or remove the fuzz that's keeping you warmer, here are a couple of do–it–yourself (DIY) shaving creams to find the most natural way to perfect your shave.
The Classic Cream
What You Need
- ½ cup shea butter (you can also use any other type of lotion–like butter, such as cocoa butter)
- ⅓ cup coconut oil (if you don't have coconut, most oils will do)
- Optional: 10–20 drops of your favorite essential oil
- Optional: 2 tablespoons of baking soda (to remove the oil after the fact)
- Whip up shea butter.
- Melt the coconut oil and add it to the whipped shea butter.
- Continue to whip the two.
- Add essential oils and mix.
- Mix in baking soda at the very end.
After scouring the web for different DIY’s to try, I liked this recipe the most. It’s based off the least ingredients and leaves your skin feeling silky and smooth. Making this recipe proved to be a little difficult, as I had to whip the butter by hand. But, it ended up being really great for my skin. It reminded me of a 2–in–1 shampoo/conditioner—but for legs, not hair. It hydrated my legs while providing a smooth finish.
Aloe Based Gel
What You Need
- ½ cup liquid castile soap
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup aloe vera gel
- 2 tablespoons of olive or sweet almond oil
- Optional: essential oils
1. Mix all the ingredients together.
This shaving cream is less of a cream and more of a gel. It will leave your skin feeling light and refreshed. I really enjoyed how easy the gel was to prepare. Without the messiness of butter or excess oil, the ingredients blended together seamlessly and was ready to use in minutes. This is perfect for when you are in a rush.
Everything Under the Kitchen Sink, But Make it Shaving Cream
What You Need
- ½ cup sweet almond oil
- ¼ cup cocoa butter (melted)
- ¼ cup castile soap
- ¼ cup raw honey
- ¾ cups warm water
- Optional: 10 drops essential oils
- Measure out the cocoa butter in a measuring cup.
- Place measuring cup of cocoa butter on top of saucepan filled with water.
- Combine the soap, honey, and oils with the cocoa butter and place in a 16 oz. foam container.
- Add water to fill container to top.
- Shake well.
I chose to call this “The Everything Under The Sink Shaving Cream” because of its broad, plentiful ingredients. Though many of the ingredients were household objects, I found this shaving cream the most difficult to conjure up. The process itself was difficult—I almost regretted not going to the store and buying a shaving cream. Still the product left my legs smooth, shiny, and ready for anything.
I really enjoyed spending time trying out these different DIYs. For the most part, these recipes were easy to put together, making them perfect solutions for not having shaving cream in the cabinet. Without the added chemicals that many store-bought creams can include, these shaving creams will become a staple in my routine. Open your cabinets, grab your razor, and get shaving.