1. "Book of Mormon" at the Kimmel Center Who says only the NYC intern kids get to have all the Broadway fun? "Book of Mormon" has been called "the best musical of this century,” and it’s reviews in Philly have been equally stellar. Tickets are very expensive, but there are periodically student discounts and cheap seats available. If you are trying to feel fancy, try Cabaret, but "Mormon" will deliver the laughs. Check http://www.kimmelcenter.org/ for ticketing. 300 S. Broad St, Philadelphia, PA 19102
2. Bob and Barbara's Drag Show Bob and Barbara's is a Thursday night, South Street staple. Every week from 10pm-1am, see the ladies of B&Bs lip sync to a mix of Beyoncé and one hit wonders. The best part of B&B’s of course is the incomparable Ms. Lisa Lisa, the mistress of drag ceremonies. Very worth the $7, especially when the first drink is free. http://www.bobandbarbaras.com/ 1509 South St, Philadelphia, PA 19146
3. The Pigeon Presents Poetry Slam Philly's premier poetry slam takes place the first Friday of every month in North Philly. Complete with monthly free workshops, the people of the Pigeon will help you get ready to grab the mic and spit, but competition can be fierce. The place is known for special tournament slams with famous poets and cash prizes. http://thephillypigeon.webs.com/ PhilaMoca, 531 N 12th St, Philadelphia PA 19123
4. Peek a Boo Burlesque: While this troupe has irregular dates all over the city and Delaware, they are worth tracking down. Word is they're working a new show that promises dancing women in 1940s inspired outfits, comedy, singing, acting, and a whole lot of pizazz. Check http://www.peekaboorevue.com/ for upcoming shows.
5. Philly Improv This venue offers more shows than a cable TV subscription. There's a show almost every night, if not multiple shows. Philly Improv specializes in Improv every Wednesday and Saturday, but they have sketch shows as well. And if you're feeling inspired, they've got free events, classes, and more ways to get involved. http://phillyimprovtheater.com/ 2030 Sansom St, Philadelphia, PA 19103