There is nothing more important on Valentine’s Day than loving the most important person in your life: you! This holiday isn’t just for lovers; it’s also for those who want to put on pajamas and watch endless rom–coms alone in their room while downing a bottle of rosé. But instead of walking into a coffee shop or a dessert store to satisfy your sweet tooth—where you’ll inevitably run into too many couples for a day that’s obviously all about you—whip up the following treats at home. Number of servings: one.
1. Heart–Shaped Rice Krispies
3 Cups of Kellog’s Rice Krispies
2 Cups of Mini Marshmallows
2 Tablespoons Butter
1. In a large bowl, melt butter and marshmallows in microwave on HIGH for 2–3 minutes, stirring every minute with a wooden spoon until smooth.
2. Add Rice Krispie cereal. Stir until cereal is coated.
3. Press mixture onto a pan or plate coated with cooking spray (or leftover butter). Pour sprinkles on top. You can use your hands or the spoon to press it down into desired thickness.
4. Once cool, cut into heart-shapes using a heart–shaped cookie cutter. (Ed. note: Say the word heart–shape five times fast.)
2. Chocolate Strawberry Sundae
1 Pint Vanilla Ice Cream
1 Bottle of Hershey’s Chocolate Shell Topping Sauce
1 Punnet of Strawberries (Ed. note: Punnet is super-cultured fancy word for average package.)
1. Wash and hull strawberries, then cut into slices.
2. Scoop out desired amount of vanilla ice cream. Arrange strawberry slices on top, then pour chocolate sauce on top. Wait till the chocolate sauce dries into a “shell” before enjoying.
Optional: Combine with molten lava cake, as shown in the next recipe.
3. Molten Lava Cake
3 oz semi-sweet chocolate
2 tablespoons flour
2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 cup of raspberries
Powdered sugar (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 400°F and butter a ramekin, or if you don’t have one on hand, use a small oven-proof cup or muffin tin.
2. Melt butter and chocolate in a saucepan over low heat.
3. Whisk in the egg, sugar, and vanilla extract.
4. Fold in the chocolatey flour until it’s fully mixed and the batter is thick and gooey.
5. Pour the batter into the ramekins, cups, muffin tin, etc.
6. Bake for 8–10 minutes.
7. Invert the lava cake onto a plate. Aka, flip the cup or ramekin face down over a plate and allow it to hang for a moment.
8. Remove the cup or other vessel.
9. Throw raspberries all over the plate. Set the mood with these sultry red tones.
10. Dust with powdered sugar.