Photo: Oscilloscope Films
What to get your ass out of bed for:
- The Second Mother is the film everyone's been talking about. Anna Muylaert's Brazilian drama premiered at Sundance and opened last Friday at the Ritz 5 Theatre. It touches on tough family and class dynamics, peppered with humor and relatable mother–daughter experiences. And yes, we did interview the young lead.
- Catch Marvel vs. DC: Watchmen tonight at the film lounge in Gregory. Perks: It's free, really close to where you live and it's an opportunity to mix comic book culture with cocktail culture.
- If you're a fan of Dylan O'Brien (and who isn't?), Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials is premiering this week, so you and your friends have something to do this weekend when you're not recovering from brunch. And yep, Cinemark is a five–second walk from Wishbone, so we expect to see you there.
What to bring up in film class:
- The Toronto International Film Festival is still going on this week, and this means two things. One, everyone is there (fine, except us). And two, this is the ideal opportunity to read Variety's coverage every day and know about next year's best movies in advance. We're talking projects, future Oscar winners and obscure references that will make you seem ~cultured~ in CINE 101.
- Sam Smith recently confirmed he will perform the opening credit song for the newest James Bond flick, Spectre. The film will be released in the U.S. and features favorites Daniel Craig and Monica Bellucci.
- Rolling Stone interviewed Leslye Headland, the writer–director of upcoming Sleeping with Other People, the romantic comedy that premiered at Sundance and stars Alison Brie and Jason Sudeikis.
What to stream:
- FX's You're The Worst has an entire new season coming up. Episode one just premiered and trust us: This is the modern, rom–com TV show you've been waiting for.
- The new Keith Richards documentary is out tomorrow on Netflix. Keith Richards: Under the Influence is directed by Morgan Neville (who was behind the hit 20 Feet From Stardom) and coincides with Richards' new album and fall tour.
- Catch up with the premieres of your guilty pleasures/favorite shows ever: The Mindy Project comes back Tuesday, Sept. 15 on Hulu and Doctor Who reaches its ninth season on Saturday on the BBC.