In case you didn’t already know, I have a huge sweet tooth. I shared my banana oatmeal cookie recipe with you a few weeks ago, but I couldn’t resist sharing another. These cookies contain very few ingredients and are simple to make. They are also healthier than your average cookie recipe as they contain no butter, oil, excess of sugar or flour and only one egg white. As a result, these cookies are really thin and chewy—almost like meringues—and taste really good. And if you need a pick–me–up from this dreary fall weather (and from your midterm grades), then this is the perfect treat.
I automatically associate fall with baking, and these cookies are a great way to start the season. Although these cookies don’t contain any pumpkin, they are sweet, chocolate–y and might even rival Insomnia. These chocolate cookies are somewhat indulgent and require a little bit of measuring and mixing, but they take a lot less time to make than it would take to have an Insomnia cookie cake delivered to your dorm (not that I would have any personal experience with that…).
Servings: 1 dozen cookies
What you’ll need:
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 1 ½ cup confectioner’s sugar
- 1 large egg white
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix together the cocoa powder and confectioner’s sugar.
- Whisk in the egg white and the vanilla extract. Finally, mix in the chocolate chips.
- Grease a pan or line it with parchment paper.
- Space tablespoons of the batter at least two inches apart to allow for the cookies to spread.
- Bake for approximately eight minutes.
- Let cool and eat!
Tips and Tricks:
- These cookies tend to spread a lot in the oven because the batter isn’t very thick, so be careful that you don’t end up with one giant cookie.
- You MUST grease the tray with butter or line it with parchment paper. If you don’t do so, the cookies will be impossible to get off of the tray (which would be a huge bummer).
- The desired texture of these cookies is crisp on the outside and chewy on the inside but not hard and crumbly.
- In case you’re looking for s’more sugar: Add mini marshmallows and graham cracker pieces on top of cookies and set the oven to broil for the last minute of baking time.